Monday, October 8, 2007

Even I'm Mad At This One

In coming up with something to write about today I figured I could either continue to pull topics from off the top of my head,which hasn't been going too well recently, or I could go for a current "hot" topic.I guess today the hot topic wins. Normally I avoid them,but when it is something this assinine I think every dissenting voice helps.

So it seems the WB doesn't want to do movies with female leads.There is so much wrong with this it is hard to know where to begin.It's a slap in the face to every actress currently working today.Hollywood has shit roles for women to begin with.Few and far between are the movies where the female lead can't just be renamed a generic"Love Interest"(which includes "Masturbation Fantasy") or "Cold Bitch".Now the WB,a major player in the movie industry, is taking those few solid roles away.I'm sure that will greatly add to our cinematic experience when the most any actress can hope for is to play the woman who fawns over Shia LaBeouf.

Of course,this calls into question the fate of the Wonder Woman movie.But I'm not so sure this is a bad thing.It's not because I don't think WW deserves a movie.WW is arguably the only female comic book hero who is a household name on her own, without being part of a team or being directly associated with a male comic counterpart(Catwoman has Batman.Elektra has Daredevil.Sue Storm has the FF,etc.)She's an icon.She has a built-in following.That says movie material in my book.I just think the movie is doomed to fail because a)Hollywood would not know how to make it without turning it into a T&A fest that most fans would be embarrassed to watch and b)the TV show left way to strong of an impression.(Tangent time!)I'm normally the first one to want to give a new person in a role a chance.But even I'm trying to figure out a way to get Linda Carter in the title role.Anyone else just seems...meh.I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.I mean Jessica Biel is insanely gorgeous, but she's not Wonder Woman.She's not even Donna Troy.I think it's to the point where they could get the real Wonder Woman(if one existed) and people would still want Linda Carter.

To get back on topic,their reasoning that female-led flicks bomb is bullshit.First of all,no Hollywood star is immune to failure.The Last Action Hero showed that the almighty Arnold could make a turkey.Ditto Bruce Willis in Hudson Hawk.Brad Pitt has Seven Years In Tibet shaming his resume.Tom Cruise has The Last Samurai. Tom Hanks has The Man With One Red Shoe( Or,if you want something more recent:The Ladykillers). Why not blackball these guys too?I couldn't give two shits if I never see Tom Cruise in a movie again and I usually like his movies.No star is a sure bet for silver screen success.It's all in the scripts.The best movies become sensations on their own,regardless of the lead's gender.

I've really only read about this in the comic "blogosphere" via When Fangirls Attackbut this is the kind of story I hope gets some attention,if not for the brazen and appalling disregard for half of the population then just to make some noise and get some movie execs to realize that the reason these movies bomb isn't because of the lead is a woman but because they just reek of slapped-together crap.

I'm no activist.I'm more the aiding and abetting type.But this is one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard and,like I said in the beginning of this post,every voice shouting this down helps.This irritates me so much I'm even willing to step out of my protective bubble and link to WFA again to add my voice to the growing angry chorus,knowing full well they might link me again.(I fear everyone on the internet but I'm getting better.) My rant might just reiterate what everyone else is saying,but I'm thinking volume is the key here.If enough people talk they'll have to say something.At the very least,it will be fun to watch them backpeddle.

No comments: