Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Superman:Identity-A New Favorite

(A note-The internet is full of comic reviews and blogs.Most are filled to the brim with negative bullshit.I'm not going to waste anyone's time with books I don't like.When people are looking for new stuff to read, what's the point of hearing about the shit?You want to know what the good stuff is.I will take up the challenge of bring good stuff to people's attention.Starting now.)

Earlier this year, I started reading DC comics, despite being a "Marvel Zombie."One thing I didn't expect to happen was becoming a Superman fan.My interest was solidified after reading Superman For All Seasons.I was looking for more Superman GN/TPBs to read and kept hearing about this book called Superman:Identity. The problem was, every time I picked it up I always ran across the page where a 20-something Superman, still thin enough to look a little awkward in his costume, was flying around.My first thought then was always "I don't want to read about some bony Superman."So I always put it down.

About 2 weeks ago, I broke down and picked it up.I think I've read it seven times since then.For those who don't know, Identity is the story of a guy, whose name just happens to be Clark Kent, who lives in what I suppose is our world.Superman exists, but as a comic book character.Young Clark is constantly assaulted with Superman jokes, Superman comics, and all manner of Superman memorobilia.And he hates it.His closet is full of unwanted Superman crap and his name makes him an outcast at school, even amongst the nerds.

One night, while hiking in the woods, he wakes up to find himself floating in the air.He realizes that he now has Superman's powers and is immediately wondering if he should shout from the mountaintops or keep it hush-hush.The story continues through all stages of his life, all the way until he is an old, gray man.

The whole story is told from Clark's point of view, mostly through journal entries that he types up on an old typewriter.I don't know how Busiek did it, but I felt every single thing that Clark felt.I felt every tragedy and triumph.When Lois announces she is pregnant I was there, joyfully bouncing around the ocean like a caffeine-addled dolphin.I felt the disappointment when he discovered that his powers were fading with age.At a few points I found myself with a lump in my throat.If I am having an emotional reaction to a story, then there must be something good going on there.

Stuart Immomen takes every art duty here, taking pencils and color.The color is done painting-style(very professional term there) which lends a much more realistic feel than is normal for him.The realism helps draw you in here.If the art was more traditional this would still be a good story and worthwhile purchase, but would most likely lack the emotional resonance.

I can't recommend this book enough.It will brighten your day and make you believe that a Superman could exist.Even if you don't like Superman- read this book.If you don't like comics-read this anyway.I wouldn't steer you wrong.

At least not this time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was looking through the textbooks at the bookstore I work for, and I discovered a Lit class that is made up entirely of comics. They're all heady stuff like Persepolis, but still, comics. The order I was filling had a different Lit class in it, too, one that teaches the book Trainspotting. I hope that person appreciates those classes and doesn't whine about what they have to read!

GeneralBobby said...

One would think that getting a chance to read something slightly outside typical curriculum material would be welcome.I can't think why it wouldn't go off well.That's just me though.