Friday, October 26, 2007

What I Bought/What I Thought

Every Thursday Morning I go to my LCS to get my weekly comic fix.I buy them with the intention of loving them,not picking them apart.I try to throw some quick thoughts about them here.You won't find anything particularly thought-provoking,but rather just honest thoughts.I will use spoilers if I want to and I won't warn you about it.This week I left with eleven books,some a bit older.

1)She-Hulk #22 :This is one of my favorite books and I've been waiting for this issue in particular because of the change in creative team and direction.So now She-Hulk is a bounty hunter.That works for me.The Absorbing Man and Titania as villains also get the thumbs up from me.My question is what's up with Jen?I'm guessing she's a LMD.So far,so good though.

2)Cable & Deadpool #46 :While I bear no ill will toward Cable,taking him out of the book was the best thing to happen to it in a while.Hopefully,seeing Deadpool interact with the MU's heavy hitters will build up a case to keep him in another title when the book gets cancelled.This time,Deadpool and Bob,Agent of HYDRA hook up with two separate versions of the Fantastic Four:one from eight years ago and the recent Black Panther/Storm incarnation.Deadpool has the funniest moment of the week talking about Sue Storm's "ample,matronly bosom".This story was pure,fun comic book wackiness.It also had Bob as Doctor Doom and Deadpool as Wolverine in his Weapon X attire.Loved this book.

3)Tales Of The Sinestro Corps:Superman Prime :I came into this knowing nothing of Superman-Prime except that he's just one of many versions of Superman cluttering the DC universe.This origin story was a bit like the Cyborg Superman one in that it painted him as a slightly more sympathetic character.This book also featured Krypto who, as much as it pains me to say it,isn't as lame as I want him to be.It was a good issue,but I'm still not sure I like the character.

4)What If?Planet Hulk :I've always loved What If? stories.They give the writers/artists room to explore characters and concepts free from the constraints of continuity and often lead to some really interesting situations.The best story here explored what would happen if the Hulk landed on the planet that the Illuminati intended for him to go.The practical joke playing one-upsmanship between Banner and Hulk was priceless.It was also funny how Banner was the one who was hunting animals while Hulk was protecting them and enjoying their company.It was almost...sweet.

5)Birds Of Prey #111 :This is the first time I've bought this book in standard format instead of trade and also the first time I've read it not written by Gail Simone.I still liked this.I love how Oracle is worshipped by nerds everywhere and also how her and Calculator are sniping at each other from computers in the same room.She's also the luckiest character ever that she's not daed.The only thing keeping every villain from knowing who she is is their arrogant ,and even a bit sexist, assumption that Oracle couldn't possibly be a woman,never mind one in a wheelchair.It wasn't bad, and read enough like Simone's version so that it wasn't too jarring.

And I'm out of time because I have to go to work.That's all folks.

No comments: