Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Quick Thoughts On Heroes

I've been enjoying the TV show Heroes and wanted to give a few thoughts on it.(What an intro.)

1)It's a little strange seeing a comic book-style story where the superpowers don't come from aliens or lab accidents.But it's refreshing and makes more sense.If your child can get your eye color or your nose, then why not some special abilities?Storywise, it makes sense because it's an easy way to introduce new characters.Also, genetics and inherited traits are things that non-superhero fans who might be watching the show can understand without having to suspend their disbelief more than they already need to.

2)The show seems to be building up a whole universe of characters.This might be a problem because it means that certain favorite characters aren't there for every show(like Claire wasn't in yesterday's show) and also because of those non-comic fans who might not be used to keeping track of that many characters in one show.On the plus side, having a large cast with many powered individuals will help the show develop a mythology that,if the show lasts, can be quite rich and lead to some interesting crossovers between characters.It will add to the show if you don't know who is going to show up in whose story.It makes it fun and unpredictable.

3)I left a comment about this on Wendy Withers blog about this and wanted to expand on the though here.Is it just me or does it seem like only the women like using their powers?Claire has been experimenting with her powers and testing their limits from the first episode.Jessica revels in being strong(That half of her personality does, at least.).I don't think her voluntary confinement is going to last too much longer.Monica was afraid of her powers until Micah made her aware of them.What did she do then?She started playing around with them.Blonde lightning chick and reality-shaping chick both also seem( or seemed) to love having powers too.Even Claire's mom, who only made the briefest of appearances ,had to show off her gifts.
Who on the men's side likes having powers?Hiro and Micah.Hiro has been the comic relief though and Micah is a kid.Every other male on the show just broods.I mean would it kill Nathan to fly every now and then?Isaac,Peter, and Matt are(or were) all depressing and keep their abilities at arms' length.Even Mohinder,who doesn't even have powers,is waaaay serious.Human nature being what it is, I find it hard to believe that so many people who find themselves with special abilities wouldn't use them.

4)This show needs more super-powered fight scenes.What has been shown so far has been way too short and infrequent.I don't mean some humongous battle royal(that would be nice, but I'm sure would really test the show's special effects budget),but to just let some characters cut loose.Peter,Monica,Jessica,Sylar, and any other characters whose powers lend themselves well to combat should get their chance to show it.

5)This show really doesn't have a "tank" yet.I mean someone who is just really,really strong and resilient.That kind of character would certainly stir things up and force some action.

4 comments:

Wendy Withers said...

Niki doesn't like being strong; Jessica does. I love the Jessica character but am annoyed with Niki. I think Jessica is just a manifestation of her subconscious; she could really use her powers all the time (i.e. the alternate universe episode) but chooses not to, because she's a "good girl." And, Peter and Sylar are the tanks. Jessica is also a tank. They're just out of commission so far this season. With Sylar and Peter, it's sort of like Pokemon, they've gotta catch em all. Sylar's my favorite character, even though I know he can't win. Maybe it will be like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, where they never truly defeat the villain.

GeneralBobby said...

Thanks for the correction on Niki/Jessica.I'll go back and fix that.It can be confusing to me,obviously.I'm not sure I'd call Jessica a tank.She could be,but seems to rely on guns alot.Peter and Sylar are more like "good-at-everything" types.By a tank, I mean a Colossus,Hulk,Luke Cage,Ben Grimm,etc.And Sylar can never beat Peter.He's limited because he has to kill people to get their power.That means unless he goes on a spree he won't be able to heal,turn invisible,stop time,read minds.Even if he does get a power that Peter doesn't have,the second he faces him Peter will have every power he has.
My favorite characters?Hiro because I always like the more light-hearted characters and Monica because that's just such a cool power to have.

Wendy Withers said...

I love Hiro, too, for the same reason. I don't like the show's emphasis on going through all of the different story lines, though. I had my reservations when they announced it was what they were going to do. I liked the first season, because you could tell where everything was going to fit together and were just waiting for the pieces to merge. I find it hard to be interested in Hiro's quest and Maya's bid to live in the U.S., although, I like Maya's story more, because she may eventually make it to the other Heroes somehow. Also, I really liked the Ando character, because he was an ordinary man caught in extraordinary circumstances. Now he's just going through Hiro's accounts of extraordinary circumstances. And, the story of an Englishman becoming the greatest hero in another country is kind of cliche.

GeneralBobby said...

From what I've heard,these stories aren't going to last all season.So if something is falling a bit flat for you,it will change.
My only real complaint with the many storylines is that there are just a couple too many.You know that sooner or later your favorite character is going to be squeezed out of a few episodes.If they really are trying to introduce a lot of characters, then they should interact more.That's half the fun of having a large,shared universe.