Friday, October 26, 2007

My Nextwave Coloring Project

Last weekend I got Nextwave:Agents Of H.A.T.E. #5,the Crayon Butchery Variant.I got two copies.One to bag and board and one to color.My plan is to do the whole book.Why?Why not.

So far,I've put about 13 or 14 hours into it.I haven't finished any full pages yet,but I have about 10 to 12 full panels done and bits and pieces everywhere.I' not going a page at a time,but rather an item at a time.For example,I've gone through the book and colored in Boom-Boom everywhere she appears.This is mostly so I don't forget what color I made everything.

I decided to use colored pencils for this.I just didn't want to use crayons and markers bleed through the pages.But damn if it doesn't take forever with pencils.If the paper quality was better I could use markers and I'd be much further along.It's not a big deal,it just means it's going to take me a little longer.

I'm pretty critical of myself whenever I take on a new creative endeavor.I'm looking at the job I'm doing and comparing it to the original and am reminded that I am not an artist.But overall,I'm not totally displeased.I'm not going for an exact color-for-color copy.I'm just using solid colors,because that is easiest.Though here and there,I am highlighting things and experimenting.And you can totally tell when I'm doing it too.It is amazing how much the coloring affects the look of a book.You don't get to compare that much.How often do you see the same book with two editions,each colored in a totally different way?You don't.You get one book and the only difference is usually the cover.

I don't have a scanner to post any pictures.I should probably be grateful for that(you should be too.)At best I could take a picture of a finished page when I get one done.This is a lot of work,but it is fun.When it comes to this kind of thing,I love a challenge.I'm hoping to finish this in about a month's time,but it will probably take longer.

3 comments:

Wendy Withers said...

You mean it's a comic book and a coloring book? I need it! All I've been doing tonight is scaring people for pay and knitting squiddies. I think I'm going a little crazy. I also got to play with a Chinese yo-you thanks to our fire breather/ juggler Kenny. Back on topic, I need a coloring comic book. And, apparently, Marvel Zombies is coming out with Marvel Zombies 2. I'm very out of the loop right now.

GeneralBobby said...

The comic was a bit odd to begin with,so making a coloring book out of one of the issues makes sense for it.There was a contest too,but I believe that is over.I'm doing this one for my own amusement.
Marvel Zombies 2 is more of the same,but if you liked the first and aren't sick of zombies yet that shouldn't be a problem.

Wendy Withers said...

There's always room for zombies.