Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Random Points....

I'm not really sure what to write about today,so I figure a few smaller items might work.Better to write something than nothing...

1) She-Hulk #21:I love it.Love it.Love it.Everyone acting out of character is an Earth-A tourist?This is the kind of fun,simple reasoning that comics should be all about.Most of the origins of Marvel's classic characters arose from Stan Lee's lack of knowledge of science combined with pure creative joy.I think they should have had a Wolverine or two in the group of tourists to explain how he's in so many places at once,but I think that's my conclusion to make.Not everything has to be part of some vast,complicated conspiracy.I love the fun,light-hearted feel of this book.It know it won't be the same with Peter David,but I have confidence in him and his talent.

2)Piano:I am always shocked that I'm making any progress in my piano playing.I never thought that I could coordinate my hands to play two different things.I've always wanted to know how to REALLY play a musical instrument.I tried bass guitar and guitar,but never took lessons.As a result,I never progressed.I could read tabulature and play some basic stuff,but that was as far as my talent went.But taking real piano lessons from a real teacher with a real lesson book...it does make a difference.Still,I look ahead in my book at what I'll be playing later and it drops my jaw.The fact that I WILL be able to play that stuff,not might be able to,is the greatest feeling.

3)Akercocke :If you have ANY sense of appreciation for death/extreme metal then this is the band to check out.I would describe them as very technical extreme death metal with an infusion of European Pop.It's an odd combo that just meshes soooo well together.Every musician in this band blows me away,but the drums are what makes it for me.It's funny that normally I'm a guitar type of guy,but with death metal it's all about the drumming for me.If you're used to Top 40-style of music,this is a challenging listen.The growls themselves might scare people away.I say listen through the growls and follow the drums.Then,when the drums are synched in your mind,add the guitar and bass.And then add the vocals.Every album they put out is totally insane,but what a ride you're in for if you open your mind.My favorite album of theirs is Words That Go Unspoken,Deeds That Go Undone.If you just like the heavy stuff,pick up Goat Of Mendes.If you're a music geek,this is heaven.Sure,they have the whole Satanist vibe going on,but don't let that put you off.It's just as much an artistic choice as anything else.Most of the lyrics are unintelligible without having them in front of you to read anyway.

4)The Walking Dead:I picked up the first two trades last weekend.I was a bit hesitant because of the black and white art,but two pages in and I didn't notice.I like how the zombies are just there.One minute, the gang is washing clothes and the next...zombies!Anyway,any time I actually feel for a character in a book I know the writer is doing a good job.And I was quite happy for Glenn when he found a woman.As someone who spent more than a couple of years as a lonely bachelor,it can be rough watching everyone around you find someone if you're alone.He did a lot for the group and deserved to find happiness.That said, I can't wait to get the next few trades so I can see what happens next.At the end of vol 2,they find an abandoned(yeah right) prison.Seems like good times ahead.

5)My Birthday:Is coming up next week,but I won't reveal the day.I never make a big deal out of it.I feel funny accepting gifts I did nothing to earn.And yes,I have the same problem with Xmas.I never saw birthdays as a big deal.It's not like anything really changes in that one day.My credit card bills don't go away.My car still needs gas.I still have to go to work.The sun doesn't shine any brighter.I'd just as soon get through it with as little fuss as possible.By the way,I'll be 34.I still don't feel old yet.I feel like I have a lot of adventures left in front of me.

That's it for now.Gotta go make my lunch for work.(Just one of my many adventures....The fun!The excitement!The mystery!The danger!)Tuna on soft oatmeal bread...That's the very definition of life on the edge.

No comments: