Sunday, September 2, 2007

Food/A life with no cheese

One thing that I've learned over the years is that I love to cook.And I'm getting pretty good at it too.I've had my "accidents" in the kitchen(even recently),but those only gave me more ideas as to what not to do.

I like it to the point where I think once I pay off my credit card debt(2 paid off,1 to go.)I might go to a cooking school.The only problem I see is that most cooking jobs seem to be high pressure and I do not want another high pressure job EVER.And why would I waste money on school if I'm not going to use it?I'll need to do more research.

Anyway,yesterday I made my first attempt at lasagna and I knocked it out of the park.It's more satsifying for me because I did it without using dairy.My girlfriend is lactose-intolerant so everything I make I have to find substitutes for any dairy products.Substitue ricotta cheese was surprisingly easy, as it was just 2 packages of tofu mixed with seasonings.(I'm not reprinting the recipe here.Go to recipezaar.com and look for recipe #165125.Sorry.I'd link the site, but I don't know how yet.)

A lot of people would turn their noses up at the notion of soy or veggie-based cheese instead of the real stuff,which is a shame.People can be amazingly close-minded when it comes to food.I have to say that it's not so bad.I can still eat real cheese when I want and the substitute stuff is surprisingly close.I guess it's a good thing most people don't have to use a substitute.If you do, I'm here to tell you not to worry.It's not "gross" and doesn't taste weird.I could slip it into a recipe and most of the time you wouldn't even know unless I told you.Actually, I don't know why I'm bothering to convince anyone.If a person really wants to hate tofu, they will no matter how it tastes.

There aren't many foods I don't like.There's eggs,coffee and that's about it.There are other things I choose not to eat, but will eat them if put in a spot where I have to, such as brussel sprouts(bland) and pancakes(Another breakfast food...I'm seeing a pattern.)And that's part of the reason why it's so frustrating trying to get people to even TRY new foods.I've had eggs and coffee.That's how I know I don't like them.If you've never eaten soy cheese or a veggie burger, then how do you know you'll hate it?No,it's not going to taste like a McDonald's hamburger.It's not supposed to.It's made of friggin' vegetables!!Now open your mind and your mouth and try it.

I do have one thing I will never try.Ever.And that's bugs.Every once in a while you see someone on TV cooking up some beetles or grasshoppers and throwing them in a salad or some other thing.They try to pass it off as legitimate food, saying they taste like nuts or chicken.I don't care if they taste like chocolate ice cream, I'm not eating a bug.And I'm lucky enough to live in a country that has enough food so I don't have to.I ate the worm from a tequila bottle once.Does that count as trying them?If it does, I have an excuse.If not...screw you.I'm still not eating bugs.

No comments: