Friday, August 31, 2007

Can a Marvel reader get into DC?

This week my box at my LCS was a little light, so I decided to pick up a few DC titles to see if I like them and also if I can make sense of what is supposed to be a difficult continuity to just jump into.My only knowledge of DC comes from Superfriends and some assorted DC movie and TV projects.Let's see how I did.

Booster Gold #1:I chose this because of good reviews and because it was said to be a good jumping-on point.I'm not completely sold on the character and some of the references I didn't get.I did like the premise of jumping around within the multiverse and fixing things.I'll buy the second issue before I decide.

All Flash #1:I chose this because it was said to be a good jumping on point and because I saw some preview pages and liked the art.This was a little easier to get into.Once more, I didn't understand some of the references.But I understand who the character is and what his powers are.I could see myself buying a one-shot or a mini,but Flash won't be appearing on my pull list just yet.

Action Comics #855:I chose this because I was familiar with the villain and it got a good writeup at IGN.I don't know what it is, but Bizarro just amuses me.I liked him in Superfriends and in the Superman Animated series from a little while ago.Bizarro-speak can be hard to understand,but I think that's the point.I had no problems with getting lost or with obscure references/characters.This was a fun read,even though I typically think Superman is a little dull and played out.I'll keep reading this arc.

All-Stat Batman &Robin The Boy Wonder #5:I chose this because everything I've heard about this series made it seem so crazy and over-the-top that it piqued my interest,even if the reviews weren't so kind.I think not reading DC actually helped me here,as I don't know the characters as well so I don't have a bias on how they should act. The "goddamned Batman" line fell a little flat as I've heard about it more than enough by now.Overall though,I was entertained by everyone's antics.Wonder Woman's anti-male rant in particular made me laugh.It was very easy to get into without getting lost.I'll check out #6 and, if I like that, I'll get the trade or buy some back issues.

Brave New World :I chose this because it was $1.This was just a sampling of different books that showcased a few different characters.I found the Creeper to be very annoying and my least favorite of the group.The Atom was perhaps the most interesting story there, as I like my superhero books with a touch of comedy(where appropriate).I don't now if I was convinced to buy any of the individual titles though.I might pick up Atom on another slow day,but I'm not sure about buying it regularly.

Overall, it wasn't a bad experience.I got a little lost here and there, but I expected that as I'm pretty much totally new to DC comics.I probably would have gotten Sinestro Corp Wars, but it was sold out.I did find one title that I'm looking forward to,even if only for its current story arc(Action Comics) and two others I'm willing to try one more time(Booster Gold and ASBARtBW).I don't feel that my money was wasted,so that's a good thing.But I don't think I'll be dropping Marvel just yet.I can see how the continuity issues could be a stumbling block to new readers,but it's not insurmountable.I'm usually of above-average intelligence.I can figure it out if I just put forth a little effort.

I'll see what happens...

No comments: