Monday, January 7, 2008

Poor, Sick Kitty/ Poor, Empty Wallet

Last night, my fiance noticed that our youngest cat(the one that is in my blogger avatar), who is only 8 months old, was acting strangely and was sluggish.We were concerned, but decided to wait the night to see if she was just tired and cranky.

This morning, she was the same so I took her to the vet.She had a temperature of 104.7.That made me feel bad.Then they said she had ear mites, which made me feel even worse.Then they told me she had fleas.At this point, I felt like a horrible, negligent owner.Cats get sick, so that was just unfortunate.But when the other things were brought up I just wanted to die.

How much does a sick kitten cost?$587.That's for 4 different medicines, blood work, the office visit, etc.It cost us the start of our honeymoon stash.The remainder went on the credit card that I have been busting my ass to pay off.If she isn't feeling better by tommorrow morning, then I have to take her back for more work, which means more $$$.

She's our pet though.She's part fo the family.You can't just NOT treat a sick animal.It's cruel.I'd do anything to make sure my animals are well.Still, I'm upset at the cost.Eliminating my credit card debt is very important to me.I fucked up by overspending when I was younger and now I'm trying to fix it.I manged to pay off over $3000 of my debt last year.Now it's going to be that much harder.Every penny spent costs me more money in interest and...I'm sure you know how credit cards work.

So I feel just terrible today.I feel horrible that our kitten had mites AND fleas AND was sick.The cost just makes me feel like I'll never pay my debts.Two steps forward, one step backwards.It feels hopeless.If you have credit cards: DON"T USE THEM UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NEED TO.My debt is a little less than half as big as it was this time last year, but I still loathe the fact that half of a work week each month has to go to those cocksuckers at Mastercard.

I guess it could be worse.At least I was able to pay the bill.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kitties are supposed to get fleas and ear mites right before you take them to the vet. That's what they do.

When I lived in N.C., I lived in an infected rathole of an apartment, where the fleas and roaches of our neighbors became our own. Imagine giving your cats a flea bath every day and crying because the infestation was so bad they were bleeding into the sink. I cried a lot in those days.

And, thanks to an asshole ex-husband, I racked up about $8,000 on credit cards and had to take out a personal loan to pay them off so the collection companies would stop calling me. Those were fun times.