Tuesday, November 6, 2007

An Update On The Wrestling Thing

For those who have never read this blog(99.9% of you)I have been involved in the indy side of professional wrestling for the past four years.In that time, I have realized that the role I play(manager) isn't the role I want(wrestler).The role I want is also not something I would fit into well because of my size.This has led to some frustration and dissatisfaction on my part.Recently I have found out that I will be able to WRESTLE in a match in the coming month and have found my enthusiasm for wrestling has come rushing back to me.

Anyway, I went to practice on Saturday and was rewarded with an additional surprise:I would be getting TWO matches this month.The first will be at our monthly TV taping and the second at one of our more heavily promoted shows a week later.Details of the second match are up in the air, but I am hoping for some sort of gimmick match.A gimmick match is a match with some sort of stipulation such as a lumberjack match or a steel cage match.

My opponent and I put together our TV match at practice.I put together the basic outline of it and together we worked out the weak points and he changed some things so that it would fit his character better.I think we have created a really fun match.The match will start off with a little bit of character work where we will both get a chance to put our respective personalities over.Once the comedy is done though, the match becomes a fight.The psychology of the match is already pretty sound, but I am sure we will continue to tweak it as it approaches.I've already come up with an idea or two for my opponent to do to enhance his charcter.

This is my first real chance to get out there on my own and prove myself in the ring.My opponent, who has not been doing this as long as I have but has more matches under his belt, is psyched too because I am not afraid to take a beating.I've been in some battle royals and a few mixed tag team matches, but my singles matches were either at birthday parties or as a last minute add-on for another fed because I was on the ring crew.I might never get this chance again.I plan on going all out and leaving my heart and soul in the ring for all to see.I know I'm a little small to be taken too seriously as a wrestler, but damn if I'm not going to go all out for it given the opportunity.

I realize wrestling is often written off as "fake."People who say that are missing the point because they are comparing pro wrestling to competitive sports when it has more in common with theater.Even the "fake" part is questionable.Yes, we know who's going to win ahead of time and we aren't really trying to cripple one another.But you can't fake gravity.And a lot of the blows you see are delivered full force.You are expected to take a lot of punishment.Those who cry or complain don't last too long and lose a lot of respect from their peers.I thrive on the physical aspect.Pain is a great motivator.It's a side fans don't hear too much about because much of wrestling's mainstream media attention is usually devoted to steroid use or trying to catch wrestlers talking to each other in the ring in some ridiculous attempt to debunk it.Suspension of disbelief is critical to a good wrestling match.That is why we have to hit hard.That is why so many secrets of the business are still so closely guarded.Smart mark fans don't know half as much as they think they know. People would be much less critical of pro wrestling if they knew how complicated and deep it really is.EVERYTHING you see, no matter how insignificant it seems, has a purpose.

I can't wait for the end of the month.I will post more updates as I learn more.

No comments: