Thursday, December 13, 2007

Crappy Weather And A Revelation

Today we had our first nasty winter storm of the year.If this storm was an item on a Chinese food menu, it would be the pu-pu platter.It had a little bit of everything:snow,sleet,hail,freezing rain.Normally, I hate the snow.I've gone over this before on this blog.It's just downright aggravating when your relationship with it grows past it being something to play in or with.Today though...I didn't mind it one bit.When I wasn't working or reading my new comics, I was watching it fall and coat everything.These storms create chaos on the roads.People are forced to adjust their normally assholish driving behavior, for better or worse.That, and the threat of not being able to stop your vehicle as it slides uncontrollably down one of the many shoddily tended, hilly roads, makes winter weather my least favorite weather to be caught out in.

Yet this time I was happy.I was happy because, for the first time in 6 years, I wouldn't have to spend my whole day driving in it.I wouldn't have to chop the ice away from the front of a telephone pole with a hammer so I could set up a ladder.There wouldn't even be any ladders.I could just watch it from the warm indoors, drinking a cup of hot cocoa.I knew that by the time I left work, the roads would be clear of traffic and most likely be better plowed and salted.And I live five minutes from my job.Pffft.Even I can make that drive.

I also realized that this is going to be the weekend I make one of the most important purchases of my life.I'm not going to say exactly what it is, but involves a diamond.You know what I'm talking about.My life is going to change in slightly less than two weeks.It took 34 years, but I'm ready.I don't just think I'm ready.I know I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today, it's kind of muggy and dreary outside. But, it's still fricking 80 degrees out there! (That's not a taunt, it's a cry of outrage.)

GeneralBobby said...

What I wouldn't give for an unseasonably warm 80 degree day.I know some jerk from Minnesota or Canada or some other place in the godforsaken north could chime in with some tale of how they got 27 feet of snow in September, but I don't care.I hate all winter weather, be it a slight dusting of snow or a blizzard.